What are you doing for your presentation? How will you prepare?
I plan on discussing The Devil Wears Prada for my presentation. I am going to argue how Miranda Priestly, played by Meryl Streep, is a hero. This is a controversial topic to argue, but I think that it is valid. Most people believe that Miranda Priestly’s character is not a hero because she is very rude, bossy, and demanding. In truth she is, but what makes her character a hero is her interactions with her personal assistant, Andrea Sachs.
As it is demonstrated all throughout this movie, Miranda Priestly is very demeaning. She is like this for a number of reasons. But, the quality that makes her a hero, believe it or not, is the unfair way she treats Andy Sachs. She is constantly belittling her, bossing her around, and just very arrogant. Some might ask, “How in the world can these unjust characteristics make her a hero?” Well, at the beginning of the movie when Andy started working for Miranda she was very humble, towards the middle, she started to morph into Miranda, and at the end she goes back to her humble self. Miranda does not want Andy to become like her because she does not have a good family life and no real friends.
With these actions that Miranda displays towards Andy, she is shaping Andy to become a better person.
To prepare for this presentation, I plan on making a power point with some visual aid. (I don’t really know what this question is asking, but this is my answer to what I think it would be.)
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This could be interesting for people with a lot of interest in fashion, so I believe you will have to work hard to keep everybody in the classroom interested throughout your presentation. Why is it a vaild arguement? I think if you put some time and effort (like you do on everything) that you can make this presentation very very interesting to the whole class.
ReplyDeleteGood blog, Allie.
ReplyDeleteI have seen this movie, and I wouldn't immediately think of Miranda as a hero, but you're right, she is. She teaches Andy how to be a good person and not be like her. Are you going to show a clip from the movie? I think that would be another good aid in addition to the powerpoint. This is a good idea, Allie and I'm excited to see what you have to say about Miranda being a hero! :)
-Abby
Good luck with your choice. This sounds like it is going to be extremely difficult to explain but I'm excited to hear the connections that you can make. What might help your argument is to find several other hero's that treat others around them maliciously. I have never seen the movie but I am assuming that the main character belittles everyone around them till the point that they reach "rock-bottom" and realize how precious everything around them actually is. I know of several characters that do this in books and movies I have watched but I have never been able to make a connection to the heroes journey. It should be interesting to hear what you have to say.
ReplyDelete