Monday, October 12, 2009

"Underground Man"

Who is the ‘underground man’? What are your first impressions of him?

Who is the “underground man?” The “underground man” has been represented in this book as an alienated character. He lives in St. Petersburg claiming “I am told that Petersburg climate is bad for me…but I am remaining in Petersburg.” (5) The “underground man” lives on the outskirts of town in an old and worn down house. This house is not inviting and welcoming. This leads into the next series of thoughts. How does the “underground man” represent himself and why? At the beginning of the book the “underground man” says, “Now, I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot become anything seriously, and it is only the fool who becomes anything.” (4) From reading the first five chapters, it is assumed that the “underground man” realizes how extremely intelligent he is, but always second-guesses his ideas. Looking back on this quote, one must think to themselves how insecure he must be. It seems as if the “underground man” underestimates himself and takes his hostility out on others. “I was a spiteful official. I was rude and took pleasure in being so…When petitioners used to come for information to the table at which I sat, I used to grind my teeth at them, and felt intense enjoyment when I succeeded in making anybody unhappy.” (3) Although the “underground man” says he is “spiteful,” he is not. He has too much knowledge for his own good. Because he is so intelligent, he is alienated from the rest of the world because normal, everyday people do not know how to react in certain situations with people like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment