Othello is a tragedy. Othello is a Moore, who is in love with Desdemona, a white woman. Iago, an Ancient under Othello, who is a Lieutenant, is married to Emilia. He secretly lusts after Desdemona and does everything in his power to forbid Othello and Desdemona’s love. Iago uses Cassio to trick Othello into believing the Desdemona is cheating on him. After this, pretty much everyone dies.
I feel that all of these characters acted upon their feelings, whether they were right or wrong. I do not believe that Iago should have tricked Othello into believing that Desdemona was a whore. I also don’t believe that Othello should have killed Desdemona. I am very frustrated by Iago’s actions. What he did was very un-thoughtful and selfish. How could he want to tear someone’s life apart? His actions made Othello very angry and depressed. I feel very bad for Othello because I don’t think he deserved what Iago did.
Although I am very upset that he killed Desdemona, I believe he killed her out of love. Othello loved Desdemona very much and I think, with the accusations that were made, Othello was very confused. So when he smothered her to almost death, he was doing it out of not only anger, but mostly confusion because how could someone who loved him so much and gave everything she had to him, cheat on him?
I do pity Desdemona because she was a character who was left out of the loop, so when Othello smothered her she didn’t know why. At the same time, I don’t feel bad for Desdemona. There were many signs between her and Cassio the demonstrated his “interest” in her and she accepted them as polite gestures. Desdemona could have warned Cassio off and told him not to associate himself with her anymore.
Cassio is a sad character. He is a Lieutenant and loses his position in a drunken brawl in Cyprus. Iago, using Cassio’s age, good looks, and his charm to his disadvantage, makes him the guinea pig for keeping Desdemona and Othello apart. I feel bad because Cassio cannot have a say in what Iago does to him.
This play hasn’t helped me better understand any of my emotions but it is similar to real life situations. If you think about it, people act on impulse and don’t think about what they are doing and if they are doing it for the right reasons.
Othello is a tragedy. Everyone dies and everyone hates each other.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment